1. Baptism, the gateway to the sacraments, is necessary for salvation. By it people are freed from sins, are born again as children of God and, made like to Christ by an indelible character, are incorporated into the church.
Therefore, parents are obliged to see that their infants are baptised within the first few weeks. As soon as after the birth, indeed even before it, they are to approach the parish priest to ask for the sacrament for their child, and to be themselves duly prepared for it.
Please download the form and send it by post, email attachment, or hand it to the parish priest at church.
2. Places of Baptism in this Parish are: Our Lady of Lourdes Church and Cambourne Church
At Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Baptism could be during or outside Mass, but at Cambourne Church, it can only be celebrated within Mass. Unless in danger of death, the Bishop’s permission is required if you would like to have it in other places.
3. One sponsor (‘godparent’), male or female, is sufficient; but it is possible to have two, one of each sex. To undertake the office of a sponsor, a person must:
be suitable for this role and have the intention of fulfilling it
have completed the sixteenth year
be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist and leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken
not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared
not be the father or mother of the one to be baptised
Please download the form(s) for sponsor(s), and send it to the parish priest by post or hand it to him at church.
4. There will be one or two meetings with the parish priest, or the catechist, prior to the date of Baptism.
5. A certificate will be issued soon after the Baptism. If you do not get it more than a month after the Baptism, please contact the parish priest.
6. A Baptism is a blessed event for the family and the Parish, so please make every effort to book it well in advance and to celebrate it joyfully.